Tuesday 25 February 2014

Defining the Identity..

Defining exactly what the identity of that space is and selecting specific functions enable the design to be focused and it makes it way easier to design a space when you have exactly what the concept and the identity of the business or service is.

Starting off, personally I want to create a 'wellness retreat' to help people in some way not to just create a wellness centre that provides a pampering service.
I have always been intruiged by mental illnesses, such as bipolar disorder, manic depressive disorder, anorexia and bulimia, amongst others, so I thought it was fitting that I design a wellness center to help people who have to live with these sorts of illnesses. 

To narrow it down I chose to just target woman, ranging mostly from 14-60 years of age, I think because it hits home for me personally to want to try and help woman with these illnesses. 
This is fitting because in and around Port Elizabeth there are no 'wellness retreats' that are just for woman - this already gives me a certain design direction that I can stick to.

The therapies that I want to include in the design are going to mainly be 'natural' therapies, such as animal and art assisted therapies, touch therapy (Ayurvedic Massage) and exercise based therapies such as meditation, yoga and kick boxing. Group therapy sessions will also be held at the space for people who aren't there but wish to use it as a support system.
A nutritionist as well as a psychiatrist will be on site and they will have to be on call. 




A mind map to show the thought process behind the decisions made.

No comments:

Post a Comment